Find specials on Q Barbeque's smoked wings and more this Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. (Photo courtesy: Green Olive Media)
Because the Super Bowl is essentially a Great American Food Holiday, we're here to highlight all the wings, dips, dogs, nachos, chilis, subs and sides you should know about in preparation for a proper celebration. Ditch the sad snacks; whether all your rowdy friends are coming over on Sunday or you’re scouting out a bar stool to cling to for dear life, these are the spots that’ll do you right.
GET IT AND RUN
- Stroops, 2709 E. Marshall St.: You can throw your own "Strooper Bowl" party featuring a variety of sausages/dogs (yes, even li'l smokies), plus dips, pimento cheese, glorious dog toppings, crab dip, stroopwafels with ice cream, craft sodas and brewskis. Check out the full menu here, and be sure to place your order by Feb. 5 via email@example.com.
- Family Meal, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive: Deviled eggs with bacon, aleppo pepper and chives are an absolute must on the Family Meal Big Game menu. Sweet-tea-brined wings and fried chicken are the headliners; round things out with homestyle veggie offerings such as braised collared greens with double-smoked bacon, and pimento mac 'n' cheese. Call 447-1879 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order, then pick up the goods between 10 a.m. and noon on Sunday. Find the special menu here.
- Deep Run Roadhouse, 12379 Gayton Road or 309 N. Laurel St.: Cherry bourbon meatballs, y’all, plus your choice of pork, chicken, brisket or sausage nachos, in addition to other snackables such as wings and sliders, or trays of jalapeño cornbread. Get it. Order early by calling 740-6301; here's where it’s at.
- Q Barbeque, 2077 Walmart Way or 1070 Virginia Center Parkway or 11871 W. Broad St. or 13800 Fribble Way: Q is running a special on smoked wing platters! Grab 24 for $19, 36 for $29, 48 for $39, and, oh yeah, they’re gooooooood. The regular barbecue catering menu is also available, of course, so don't forget the corn pudding and brisket. Order A.S.A.P. from your nearest location for pickup on Saturday or Sunday.
- Chicken Fiesta, 7748 Midlothian Turnpike or 7925 W. Broad St. or 2311 W. Broad St.: The Fiesta is doing a call-and-mention deal. Say the magic words “Super Bowl Special” and get 10 percent off chicken, rib and "plato grande" tray: the chicken, ribs, steak, rice, beans, slaw, fried yucca and tortillas combo that serves four. You know what to do.
- Mean Bird, stationed at 2277 Dabney Road: Super Bowl additions to this feisty fried-chicken food truck’s menu include jumbo wings, plus Veggie Bird Bites for vegan/vegetarian football fans, A.K.A. mystical unicorns. Pre-order now by calling 402-1353 or emailing email@example.com, then pick it all up on game day at Strangeways Brewing Co. between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Nomad Deli & Catering Co., 207 W. Brookland Park Blvd.: Get your buffalo chicken dip here! And subs, all kinds of loaded subs. Nomad’s got you covered with all the usual suspects, too, like dips, chili, wings, nachos and sides. Call 677-2763 and order by Saturday.
HUNKER DOWN HARD
- The Halligan Bar & Grill, 3 N. 17th St.: It’s “steal the pint” day at The Halligan Sunday Funday Super Bowl Party, with lots of food specials and swag, to boot; it all kicks off at 3 p.m., so you can find your people, get in some good bonding time, and get any smack talk out of the way before gameplay.
- Station 2, 2016 E. Main St.: Station 2’s celebrations are already underway with their “Burger Bowl” competition: The Panthers burger (topped with pulled pork, buttermilk cole slaw, fried pickled jalapeños and barbecue sauce) has been outselling the Broncos burger (also pulled pork, cheddar, smoked poblano relish, Doritos® topping and garlic-pepper butter) almost two to one, LDO. Winner gets announced on Sunday and will be the featured burger throughout February. Eat your way through either (or both!) on game day while you watch the plays on one of the restaurant's three TVs.
- The Pig & Pearl, 2053 W. Broad St.: Ten TVs plus one giant 12-foot screen; snacks such as fried oysters and pork cracklins; happy hour prices on wings, rocket tots (think tot nachos), domestic bottles and some draft selections. Perfecto.
- Casa Del Barco, 320 S. 12th St.: All-you-can-eat taco and nacho bar, anyone? And that’s not even all CDB is doing at its Halftime Tailgate Buffet, which, by the by, you can dig into for only $20 in advance, $25 on Sunday. Explore the depths of your love for cheesy chips, no judgement.
- F.W. Sullivan’s, 2401 W. Main St.: Wing specials will abound at this old Super Bowl Sunday standby. It’s a Fan favorite! Yes, that’s a double entendre. No, it’s not a particularly good one.
- Home Team Grill, 1630 W. Main St. or 11351 Nuckols Road: Big Game parties booked at this classic sports bar get 25 percent off food purchases — and you don’t have to scrape nacho cheese off the sofa afterwards! Call your nearest location or email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your spot.