RELATED: See the full 2014 Winners List
"We're not inventing the wheel here," fertility specialist Dr. Anish Shah says of the work he is doing with Chinese medicine practitioner Keith Bell. What he is referring to is the growing national movement toward collaborative health care in all fields of medicine. Working together, across disciplines, results in better outcomes and more satisfied patients — as our story of Shah and Bell's alliance, as well as those of other doctors and specialists, unequivocally demonstrates in the following pages.
For our 2014 Top Doctors survey, we asked local physicians to recommend their peers in 90 categories. We also asked them to nominate their nurse colleagues in five special honors categories: lifetime achievement, palliative and hospice nurse, pediatric nurse, psychiatric nurse and school nurse.
We sent letters to 4,077 doctors, inviting them to complete our online survey. From our list of current licensed practitioners, obtained from the Virginia Department of Health Professions, 719 responded to the survey — a response rate of 17.6 percent.
Better Together: Collaborative Care
- Dr. Chris Young and Dr. Elliot Eisenberg: Team Players
- Dr. Lonny Green and Amanda Miller Avila: The Whole Story
- Dr. Anish Shah and Keith Bell: West Meets East
- Dr. Daniel Coelho and Sean Kastetter: Good Listeners
- Karen Roesser: Lifetime Achievement Nurse
- Patrick Coyne: Palliative and Hospice Nurse
- Suzanne Bona: Pediatric Nurse
- Laura Hall: School Nurse
- Tess Searls: Psychiatric Nurse