I-95 and I-64 are the major corridors providing access to the Richmond region, which is centrally located in the mid-Atlantic within a day's drive of half of the U.S. population.
Richmond International Airport (RIC) is accessible from I-95, I-64 and I-295, and is within 15 minutes of downtown Richmond. RIC offers nearly 200 daily nonstop flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta, JetBlue Airways, Northwest Airlines, United and USAirways. A shuttle or taxi trip from RIC to downtown Richmond costs $25 to $28. Stop by the Visitor Center for maps and other information. 1 Richard E. Byrd Terminal Drive, 226-3000 or flyrichmond.com.
Amtrak offers four convenient stops in the Richmond region. Just off I-95 is downtown's historic Main Street Station, located at 1500 E. Main St., and minutes from I-95 and I-64 is the Staples Mill Road Station, located at 7519 Staples Mill Road. Arrivals from the north include Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia; New York City; and Boston. From the south, arrivals include Raleigh, N.C.; Columbia, S.C.; Tampa, Fla.; and Orlando, Fla. Handicapped accessibility and bagging services are available at each station. Main Street Station, 646-6246. Staples Mill Station, 553-2903. Two other stations are located nearby: Ashland in Hanover County, 112 N. Railroad Ave., (800) USA-RAIL, and Petersburg-Ettrick, 3516 South St., 526-4077. For Amtrak fare and schedule information, call (800) USA-RAIL or visit amtrak.com.
Greyhound/Trailways has a terminal located minutes from downtown Richmond. 2910 N. Boulevard, 254-5910. For fare and schedule information, call (800) 231-2222 or visit greyhound.com.
Navigating the region is easy. With the exception of some weekday rush-hour delays, motorists will usually find traffic to be light.
Here are a few tips to help you on your way when traveling by car. Also, check out the online interactive maps at VisitRichmondVa.com.
- Right turns are permitted when light is red unless posted otherwise.
- Left turns on red are allowed from a one-way street onto another one-way street unless posted otherwise.
- Downtown streets are generally one way, with Broad Street as an exception.
- Tolls ranging from 20 cents to $2.50 are found on the Downtown Expressway (I-195), Powhite Parkway (Route 76) and Pocahontas Parkway (Route 895).
- On-street parking in the city is generally free on weekdays after 6 p.m. and
- on weekends.
- One- to two-hour metered parking is allowed on weekdays. Be sure to read the parking signs carefully. Call police information at 646-0400 if your vehicle is towed.
- Parking lots throughout the city have hourly prices, many around $4 an hour.
By Rental and Charter Vehicles
Charter services, luxury limousines, specialized handicapped-accessible transportation and most national car-rental companies operate throughout the region. For rides to and from the airport, rely on taxis or Groome Transportation, 222-7222 or groometransportation.com.
Taxi services are available in the Richmond region, including the Richmond International Airport, Greyhound/Trailways, Amtrak and at hotels. Prices start at a $2.50 drop rate plus $2.50 per mile. Call ahead for taxis or pick them up at taxi stands at the airport or hotels.
GRTC Transit System bus fares cost $1.25 each — senior citizens and disabled fares are 50 cents, or opt for a Go Card at $5, $10 and $25 per card in select locations. Transfers cost 15 cents, while senior citizens transfer for free on local routes. For bus schedules, call 358-4782 or visit ridegrtc.com.