We asked Joie Patterson of Flower Girls Inc. for three affordable, colorful and fun spring arrangement ideas. Pulling from local nurseries and farmers' markets, here's what she came up with — and each costs less than $30.
- Choose a gourmet-inspired container like a soup tureen or small Dutch oven.
- Place a piece of soaked floral foam in the base of container.
- Arrange veggies such as carrots, kale, radishes and turnips on top of the foam, using wooden picks to secure them when necessary.
- Insert berries and herbs to complete the arrangement; here, parsley leaves soften, and rosemary will fill your home with fragrance.
For the Birds
- Look for a container that would work in the garden, like this mini concrete birdbath, terracotta pots or even a colorful 28-ounce tomato can.
- Plant a colorful houseplant such as primrose (used here), cyclamen, florist's azalea or hydrangea and hide the soil with decorative moss.
- Attach little foam birds (available at craft stores) to wires or picks and place them around the plant.
- Cut sheet wheatgrass to fit a low, glass container.
- Take potted bulbs — daffodils and tulip bulbs (used here) or hyacinth and crocus — and rinse so only bulbs and roots remain.
- Cut small holes in the wheatgrass and insert bulbs, making sure to spread the roots in the bottom.
- Keep wheatgrass and bulb roots in water.
- Intersperse colorful eggs for a great Easter centerpiece. And when you tire of it, put the wheatgrass in a juicer for a healthy shot.