The Living section of Richmond magazine’s June issue is full of floral furnishings. Titled “Flower Market,” the spread showcases items from a peony pink and lime green upholstered arm chair and clusters of breathtaking sun flowers in modern Mason jars, to a precious petal-laden enamel bowl and hot pink and orange floral rug, shown at right.
Flowers also are drawing attention in The Library of Virginia’s current exhibition “Flora of Virginia,” a lovely show featuring colorful photographs, illustrations, pen-and-ink drawings, sculpture and fossils from the Library of Virginia’s collections and beyond.
Illuminating lectures will bring the exhibition to life. On Thursday, June 19, from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Donna Ware, professor emeritus at the College of William & Mary, will discuss the history of botany in Virginia in the Library’s conference rooms. The talk is free.
On Sept. 5, internationally known, Charlottesville resident Robert Llewellyn will discuss his visually stunning book, Seeing Flowers (shown) in an illustrated lecture. The book is made up of dazzling micro-photographs highlighting 343 popular garden flowers.
Summer is a wonderful time to take in the Library's enlightening exhibition, to enjoy its related talks and to add floral art and accessories to your home's decor.
- “Captivating Cattieya” limited edition 28-by-20 inch canvas by Brian Davis, $650, at Bella Arte Gallery
- Sunflower with light Topaz crystal petals, $100, at Swarovski
- Seeing Flowers: Discover the Hidden Life of Flowers” by Teri Dunn Chace and Robert Llewellyn, $30, at Fountain Bookstore
- Vintage black Cloisonne vase, $24, at Rare and Worthy, a local etsy shop
- “Flutterby” throw blanket by Vera Bradley, $49, at Westbury Gallery
- Beach bag, $7, at H & M
- “Flower Bloom” ceramic vase, $40, at Target
- Fig rose herbal tea, $8 for 20 oz., at Teavana
- “Elephant Ears” tumblers by Lilly Pulitzer, $16 for a set of 8, at Tweed
- Poppy Blossom fragrance, $65, at Coach
- “Phoebe” rug by Company C, $750 for 4-by-6 feet, at Twig
- Grey flowers on a denim card, $20, at Papyrus
- Yellow blossom pillow, $32, at Crate & Barrel